Thursday, December 4, 2014

Encaustic Painting, December Reflections and Blue Jays

While You Were Away
encaustic mixed media on birch 6x8
Seems there isn't much going on for me in encaustic painting.  I feel lucky if I get some hours in the studio this time of year.  This Steller's Jay is one of the most recent and probably last ones I will do in 2014.  Its amazing to think that it's December and we will be waking up to Christmas Day not too far from now.  In addition to being totally distracted by the Holiday season, I've gotten bitten by the printing bug and it seems that my mind has shifted to thinking in terms of how to carve a linocut so that the positive and negative spaces work out.  So, I got the happy idea to make my own Christmas cards this year - all linocut of course!  I've been printing like crazy in the studio and have them all ready to be addressed.  I'm feeling very smug that I'm actually on top of it this year.  I'll share my Christmas card and printing endeavors next week. 

I'm also taking part in December Reflections with the brilliant Susannah Conway.  A photo a day (with word prompts) doesn't seem too overwhelming and is actually a nice pause during busy days. 


12/1:  Drinks
December Reflections
 
12/2:  Lights
December Reflections
 
12/3:  The Best Day of 2014
Today of course :) 
December Reflections
12/4: Red
My favorite foxy mug and my very first linocut :)
December Reflections

Hoping your Holiday season is rolling along smoothly so far.  Happy Friday everyone! 






25 comments:

  1. Wonderful blue jay with beautiful texture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, can you believe it is December already? I'm sure that the older you get the faster time actually moves! Loved your little blue jay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Jay is stunning that blue is so luscious! Your first card looked lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blue jay! Happy PPF, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Jay looks so three-dimensional, I love what you've done with the background! And that blue just caresses my soul, it reminds me of the color of the sky, November in Finland was so grey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, loving the encaustic blue jay and love your first lino cut. Happy PPF, Annette x

    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful jay! I love the effects you get from encaustics. Cool idea of doing a photo a day. I like how your snapshots say a lot without being obvious. Glasses, a color, they tell you all about the moment but leave us guessing. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos but I'm in love with that bird. :) Wonderful texture and color.!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's funny how when you learn a new thing it's all you want to do. I how you continue having fun with linocut but i also how you continue with your encaustic as i do love it. I like the photo a day you're doing - It's a lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. your encaustic painting is stunning Marji! And good for you to have done your own cards and are on top of the holidays too. Great linocut!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Luv the texture of the jay, Season's Greetings

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful art-work!!!
    Smiles, Saskia :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I adore blue jays and yours is gorgeous!! Can't wait to see your cards! Love the photo a day too! Wonderful festive post!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  14. The painting is wonderful and printing is s perfect therapy in the holiday season... Something lovely about carving and printing and craving some more... And I love the photo series... Just lovely... Will make a great record of your season...xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful encaustic Jay. Your linocut card is really beautiful. have a wonderful Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your Jay!!! I am intrigued with encaustic work but haven't tried it yet. You seem to have a great handle on it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the painting,you are invited to share this with Feline Art Friday:
    http://kittypartay.blogspot.com/2014/12/feline-art-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Marji your blue bird is outstanding. I can't wait to try encaustic painting. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  19. The encaustic gives the painting a wonderful beauty and uniquely different. Blessings, Janet PPF

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...